Greetings from sunny Waynesboro! We have only 515 miles left- practically the home stretch… I remember when we had only COMPLETED 515 miles. It doesn’t seem so long ago. It doesn’t feel like we’ve been on the trail for six months, either! I’m sure it will all ‘sink in’ after I get home. We’re going to push hard, try to be home by Christmas. That’s, what, 35 days? Who knows. We’d have to do something like 14 1/2 miles a day on average. That’s do-able.
I think these last handful of miles are going to melt right by. The terrain (accd to our trail book) doesn’t look too harsh (knock on wood), if we can just manage to stay warm enough at night, we’ll do fine. I have been feeling nauseous and fatigued lately. Really hope it’s push-on-through-able.
The Shenendoah Mountains were gorgeous! Totally improved my mood at least three times over. Just the other morning, we saw seven young deer feeding not twenty feet away from us. They weren’t fazed by our proximity whatsoever. Amazing. J took a ton of photos*.
BTW Here’s one of us at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Harper’s Ferry, WV
We have to give some shout-outs to the nice couple that picked us up outside of the supermarket in Luray and gave us a ride back to the trailhead. Also, a big hello to our new buddy Dave C. He picked us up, cooked us dinner, and let us crash/lounge at his house for the day. A super-unexpected solid.
I’ve been meaning to put a reading list up here. I’ve been able to put away a shit-ton of books out here, since there is little else to do besides walk and eat. Here goes, in semi-chronological order:
- Indian Killer- Sherman Alexie
- Into The Wild- Jon Krakeur (spelling?)
- The Road- Cormac McCarthy
- Good Omens- Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett
- A People’s History of the United States- Howard Zinn
- The God Delusion- Richard Dawkins
- ‘Salem’s Lot- Stephen King
- The Color Purple- Alice Walker
- The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest- Steig Larson
- Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga- Stephen Davis
- Devil in a Blue Dress- Walter Mosley
- Ishmael- Daniel Quinn
- Stone Butch Blues- Leslie Feinberg
- Skin: Discussing Sex, Class & Literature- Dorothy Allison
I think I’ve forgotten a few titles in there.
Right now, I am reading Endgame by Derrick Jensen. YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! I want everyone I love, and even some people that I could live without to READ THIS BOOK. Seriously.
*A Note On Photos/ Video- I’m going to wait to upload until after the trail is over. I figure it will be a nice project for the post-trail blues I hear so many thru-hikers have.